Monday, June 11, 2012

Dreamworks vs Pixar

I wasn't sure what to blog about tonight until I saw this concept art earlier today for the upcoming Pixar movie Brave.  By now we've all seen plenty of clips from Brave (or at least you have if you ever watch the Disney Channel).  From the beginning I thought Brave looked like a winner, way back a year or more ago when I first saw a poster for it.  Nothing else, just that poster, and I was hooked.  I think I even blogged about it.  There's something about  a simple, static piece of art that's often much more powerful than a full blown video clip, and when I saw this sketchy, black and white drawing of Merida (the main character from Brave) it stoked me all over again into wanting to see the film.


Pretty much everyone likes Pixar films.  I've enjoyed most of them, even both Cars films, and whenever the topic turns to the best superhero movie ever, I often think of The Incredibles.  But not every Pixar film is high on my list.  I really don't care for Ratatouille, for example, though I've seen it more than once.  It's just not funny enough or exciting enough to hold my attention, and I know some people feel the same about Up.  Whether or not Brave turns out to be the great movie I'm hoping for remains to be seen (and I will see it, most definitely).  But lately I've been thinking just how much I enjoy the Dreamworks Animation movies more.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, because to be sure Pixar has the better overall track record.  Dreamworks has a number of animated movies that are pretty forgettable, like Sinbad and the Prince of Egypt, but they also have a bunch of great films as well--Shrek, Monsters vs. Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, and the fantastic Kung Fu Panda movies (both of which are "awesome," as Po would say).  And having recently seen Madagascar 3 and loving it, I think I'm now decidedly in the Dreamworks camp.  There's just something about their movies that I prefer over the Pixar ones.  It might be that they're just a tad lighter, because honestly I just can't take all the heavy, heavy emotion that comes with a film like Toy Story 3.  Yeah, I know the critics love it, but man, I hope I never have to sit through that tearjerker again.  Too sad, and too long, like a lot of Pixar movies.

Come to think of it, I should check the running time for Brave.  If it's much longer than an hour and half, chances are I won't like it as much as I think.  Great artwork though!


5 comments:

  1. I was thinking that what little I've seen of the other characters in Brave looked a lot like some of the characters in How to Train Your Dragon (definitely a fave).

    And YES! (All Caps for that one) Kung Fu Panda is probably one of my favorite movies anyway. I didn't think about this before, but Dreamworks really has been doing a good job. I still think I'm a bigger Pixar fan, but only because I've seen more of them I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to lean a little more towards the Pixar side of the spectrum on this one. First of all, I feel that the humor in Pixar films in general is more suitable for kids. Also, and it's not that I don't like some of the Dreamworks films, but to me it seems that Dreamworks tends to be more interested in getting top-notch star-power voice talent into their movies rather than putting the effort into fleshing out the storyline. But, maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefan the reason Pixar movies more often than not have humor that is suitable for kids is that that is usually their primary audience. This isn't always the case with Dreamworks. How To Train Your Dragon obviously focuses on a young audience and is a suitable flick from Dreamworks for kids, but other flicks like Shrek aren't really made for kids.

      Delete
  3. pretty forgettable, like Sinbad and the Prince of Egypt?

    You're joking right?
    Those two Dreamworks 2D films are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... I go backwards...in Shrek franchise Donkey's kind reminds all of us about MLP:FiM. also they said dreamworks was going to have a past remake of Peabody and Sherman! and guess what? It starred a scientist who was arrested for doing COCAINE or something... I mean, also, Pixar never had.. like... Brony references,parody jokes or drugged celebreties... I GO BACKWARDS!

    ReplyDelete